It never hurts to add an extra layer of security to your website. This will make it more difficult for attackers to access your information and bring your site down. If you’re already using cPanel to manage your web hosting, you know that there are lots of handy tools at your disposal—including security tools.
Today we’re going to cover how to set up two-factor authentication in your control panel. Two-factor authentication, also known as 2FA or multi-factor authentication, is a multiple-step verification process to access an account. It usually involves a combination of username, password, fingerprint, code that is texted to the user’s personal phone, or a link that is sent to the user’s personal email address. Despite being very simple to set up and use, this extra verification makes it a lot harder for someone that is not you to break into your account.
What You’ll Need:
- Access to your web hosting’s cPanel account
- A smartphone with a TOTP (time-based-one-time password) app installed, like Google Authenticator
Setting Up Two-Factor Authentication
1. First, you’ll want to log into WHM.
2. Next, use the search feature to find the security tool.
3. Once you’ve done so, look for the “two-factor authentication” feature and turn it on. There should be a green light adjacent to the button once it has been turned on. Click save, and you’re already halfway there!
4. Now that you’ve turned on two-factor authentication, it’s time to go to the “Manage My Account” tab.
5. Once there, use the TOTP app on your phone to scan the QR code on your computer screen
6. Enter the 6-digit code displayed on your mobile (given to you when you scanned the QR code) into WHM.
7. When you’re all good to go, press “Configure Two-Factor Authentication.” You’re all set!
Let’s keep this window open so we can test 2FA now and disable it if needed.
Testing Two-Factor Authentication
1. Open a new browser and log in to your website’s cPanel. This will be either www.domain.com/cpanel or cpanel.domain.com
2. You will then be prompted to enter your security code. Get the 6-digit security code from the TOTP app on your phone and click “continue.”
If you’ve logged into your cPanel, it means it worked. Yay!
Got any questions? Feel free to ask us in the comments below!