As a hosting company, one of our biggest and most serious threats is an unauthorized access into our networks. These threats are caused by intruders and viruses – the two most serious issues in our industry.
- Intruders who do not have authorized access to a system will probably need to penetrate a system and gather information on a user to access data, programs, and resources. Intruders may also attempt to launch an attack after compromising a system.
- Intrusions can vary in severity. Some examples of intrusions include: gaining email access of former employees, guessing/cracking passwords, installing and making use of remote administrative tools, etc.
- An Intrusion Detection System (IDS) is a device or application that is used to monitor in/outbound activity to identify suspicious activity. It is an intelligent system looks for a network or system attack to prevent someone from attempting to compromise a system. The IDS is deployed physically as a layer in a network and monitors unauthorized activity in its environment. The IDS assumes that a threat would behave differently than regular activity and that these activities can be quantified.
A secure system should:
- Stop Threats and improve performance
- Industry proven, proactive network security
- Protects your website and revenue generating activities from malicious threats
- Lowers your bandwidth usage and prevents network abuse
- Prevents data loss and helps ensure corporate governance and security compliance
Every web hosting plan and server on Canadian Web Hosting is protected by our TippingPoint Intrusion System. Our clients can immediately receive alerts when a critical threat is identified to possibly impact a system’s security infrastructure.
How it works:
The TippingPoint IPS is an in-line device that is inserted seamlessly and transparently into the network. As packets pass through the IPS, they are fully inspected to determine whether they are legitimate or malicious. This instantaneous form of protection is the most effective means of preventing attacks from ever reaching their targets.
The TippingPoint Intrusion Prevention System is a data-packet inspection system that looks at information packets sent through the Internet before they reach a company’s network. The core component of the system is TippingPoint’s Threat Suppression Engine (TSE) based on specialized hardware designed by the company. Using parallel processing, the TSE can apply thousands of checks to data packets in an average time of less than 215 microseconds.
The TippingPoint Intrusion Prevention System can be effective against a wide range of potential cyber-attacks including so-called “denial of service” attacks. Denial of service means that attackers attempt to shut down a website by overloading it with a huge traffic spike over a very brief time period. The system can also be used to enhance overall website performance by allowing users to prioritize among applications so that the most important are always kept up and running. The system also includes regular virus blocking updates.
TippingPoint’s Intrusion Prevention Systems provide Application Protection, Performance Protection and Infrastructure Protection at gigabit speeds through total packet inspection. Application Protection capabilities provide fast, accurate, reliable protection from internal and external cyber-attacks.
An integral part of the TippingPoint solution is the Digital Vaccine® Service that delivers new filters on a weekly or even daily basis to maintain evergreen protection for the latest vulnerabilities, exploits, viruses and rogue applications.
A data sheet for the TippingPoint Intrusion Prevention System can be found here.